Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Spot finally hits the spot

My satelite tracking device has not been working well downtown due to high rises, etc. and I had little time to get out in the open for testing.

I was pleasantly suprised yesterday when I turned the device on in the forbidden city that it actually picked up. The location is about 50 yards off or so as we are a bit to the right inside the city vs. on the road outside but it is close enough for purposes of finding someone.



My spot sharing page is here.

As you've likely noticed, my blog also has a Google latitude widget (which since I have installed on two phones - 1 in the US and 1 in china, is currently bouncing between the two - literally making me appear in two places at once). The Google software is very cool, very accurate and can be used anywhere a cell signal is available. Since many of our programs travel outside cell ranges, the Spot is a good device for these trips.

Spot folks - if you are listening, make your next rev of the device handle updates via Google Latitude while in cell range and Satelite when not. I'm even fine carrying two devices (e.g. let the device talk to my phone so it knows when I'm out of range).

-Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment